One week to go. You better get your planning hat on and organise next saturday night. Here are some ideas on how to spend Earth Hour (inspiration borrowed from the Post and Mail). Give us your suggestions too!!
1. Host an Earth Hour Party: BYO (soy) candle and no plastic cups.
2. One word: Fondue! No electricity required. Or try our raw sushi recipe, I had it for dinner last night, it hit the spot.
4. Harness the combined romance of candlelight and eco-chivalry to pop the question.
5. Dig out your clarinet, ocarina or guitar for an acoustic music night. Practise without looking at your hands.
6. Avoid using anything that requires power. Including batteries.
7. Go totally 18th-century and play charades by candlelight.
8. Look for stars in the darker night sky, or moon dance.
10. Build a fort.
11. Dust off those board games. Trivial Pursuit is a personal favourite, I love the play dough part.
12. Prove to yourself that you can go 60 minutes without updating your Facebook status.
13. Go to bed early. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
14. Start a pool on whether there will be a baby spike in nine months. Those candles can be pretty damn romantic.
15. If it’s warm, sit on the steps chatting to passersby and comparing notes on living green.
16. Or say to your neighbour, “Dude, this is so Amish.”
17. Make streetlight shadow puppets (yes, the streetlights stay on, for safety). Here is a very informative video on shadow puppetry.
18. Curse the name of Thomas Edison and damn his tungsten-stained soul to hell.
19. Boycott venues that are still switched on.
20. Worry about the semi-lit airport.
21. Play with sparklers. Take long-exposure photos of your efforts.
23. Master your origami skills. You could even whip up a new outfit like the one in the picture. Surely it can’t be that difficult.
24. Just whistle in the dark.
25. Why spoil the fun? Leave the lights out for the rest of the night.
Here is another energy saving tip, oh how we spoil you…
Energy Saving Tip #4: Why should Earth Hour be an annual thing? Make it weekly. We have just given you 25 ideas on how to fill the hour, now you can have all that fun every week. Awesome!