The green internet is full of great news and tips, every day, so today I’m going to share with you a few articles (and giveaways) I’ve read in the past few days that I thought were… well, share-worthy :)
News & Views
- The happiest place on earth is …
Costa Rica is the happiest place on earth, and one of the most environmentally friendly, according to a new survey by a British non-governmental group.
- U.S. Considers Curbs on Speculative Trading of Oil
Reacting to the violent swings in oil prices in recent months, federal regulators announced on Tuesday that they were considering new restrictions on “speculative” traders in markets for oil, natural gas and other energy products.
- Purity of Federal ‘Organic’ Label Is Questioned
But the USDA program’s shortcomings mean that consumers, who at times must pay twice as much for organic products, are not always getting what they expect: foods without pesticides and other chemicals, produced in a way that is gentle to the environment.
- Whole Foods adopts new verification standard for private label products
Whole Foods Market Inc. says it will submit its private label products to testing for genetically engineered organisms–a move that will add a new level of certification to what’s on the organic and natural grocer’s shelves.
- Eco-friendly ‘Green Tomato Cars’ for the Queen to cut costs
Following the global slow down and economic crisis, the Queen is determined to switch from the LPG-fuelled black cab to an environmentally friendly car service, to save money.
- Op-ed: An Eco-Friendly July 4th 2010?
However, there is a glimmer of hope smoldering cleanly on the horizon. Scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory have been developing non-toxic substitutes for fireworks that both produce less smoke and contain little if any color-producing heavy metals.
- Beauty Kitchen Confidential
If you poke around in the conception stories of some of the leading organic cosmetic and body care companies, you’ll find many of them were started by individuals who either had problems with conventionally produced products or simply thought they could do it better. Start making your own beauty products, and who knows — you might even join their ranks.
- Greenpeace Seafood Report Update
Not quite an article, but you can find out how your supermarket scores in seafood sustainability. I am surprised to see WalMart get double the score of one of the local chains here.
From the Blogosphere
- Gas Spill in Newburyport Poisons River and Sends EPA Scrambling
A gas tanker overturned in the town of Newburyport Ma., spilling almost 10,000 gallons of fuel into storm drains and the Merrimack River.
- Mammals to Evolve Faster, Get Smaller with Climate Change
What will be left after just a century or climate change will be something as different from our current climate as the Jurassic period was; but it is happening millions of years faster. Even we humans are not adapted to that whole new climate that we are creating with climate change. Yet.
- Which Eco-Insect Repellent Works the Best?
All of these products mentioned are natural, DEET free, and many are organic as well. They all use natural essential oils like mint, cloves, rosemary, geranium, citronella and lemon.
- the rikrak STAY-cation giveaway!
Win coasters made from repurposed vintage fabric. Ends July 15th.
- Win Upcycled, Handmade Jewelry by Sisteria Designs
Ends July 12th.
- Win Cruelty-Free Cleaning Supplies From Attitude!
Ends July 26th.
- Organically Grown Unisex Baby Layette Giveaway
One winner will receive three bibs, a giraffe three piece set, and a World of Friends blanket from Organically Grown. Ends July 13th.
- New Wave Enviro Eco-Friendly GIVEAWAY!
One winner will receive a bamboo lunch box, stainless steel container, and 12 oz stainless steel bottle from New Wave Enviro. Ends July 20th.
- Giveaway & Review: Evolve Eco-Friendly Showerhead (2 Winners)
Ends August 3rd.
- Eco-Panda Gorgeous Bathing Suits! Review and Giveaway!
Ends July 16th.
published July 8, 2009