Colder weather, back to school, stress, looming holidays, deadlines… ‘tis the season for colds and flus! All around me are glassy eyes, red noses, crumpled tissues, and sounds of sneezes and coughs. Of course, this is your body telling you to stay home, cuddle under a warm blanket, drink herbal teas, and rest. But most of us will not listen. Such is human nature.
Enter: The Warming Woolly Sock Treatment. This is one of my favorite home remedies for getting better quicker. It is especially effective for upper respiratory conditions (nasal congestion, sore throat, sinus infection) but will also help for ear infections, headaches, and general malaise.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 pair white cotton socks
- 1 pair thick wool socks
- Warm bath or warm foot bath
This is what you will do:
- Take the pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip (they should be wrung out as if they had come out of the spin-cycle of your washing machine).
- Put them in the refrigerator for 3-5 minutes
- Warm your feet. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could even aggravate your condition. You can warm them by soaking your feet in warm water for at least 5-10 minutes or taking a warm bath
- Dry feet thoroughly
- Take the cotton socks out of the fridge and immediately place them on your feet. Don’t worry…it will only be uncomfortable for a few seconds.
- Cover the cotton socks with your thick wool socks. Go directly to bed and bundle up. Avoid getting chilled.
- Keep the socks on overnight. You’ll find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.
By using this treatment, you’re reflexively increasing your circulation—the blood gets pulled away from the congestion in your respiratory passages, head and throat, and is drawn toward your feet in order to warm them. By decreasing congestion, you are able to breathe better, and therefore, sleep more soundly. It’s a natural Nyquil!
Since it’s encouraging circulation, this treatment is also effective for pain relief and increasing the healing response during acute infections. It also works amazingly for kids, as there is less distance for the blood to flow from top to bottom and their circulation is more dynamic.
The Warming Woolly Sock Treatment is best if repeated for three nights in a row, or as instructed by your naturopathic doctor. Trust the socks, they can work wonders.Photo Credit: bark