Word on the street is that kale is the new beef. Actually better than beef. Like the prime of prime sirloin but with no moo and waaay better for the environment. Surely this must be a hoax I hear you cry. I hoax you not, I have 7 reasons as proof.
1. Iron: per calorie, kale has more iron than beef. Weren’t expecting that were you?
2. Low in calories and high in fibre: Great for keeping the weight down
3. Omega fatty acids: it contains good measures of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help beat inflammatory diseases
4. Calcium: Kale packs more calcium per calorie than milk, it’s better absorbed by the body than dairy and it doesn’t contain pus and other gross stuff.
5. Sustainable: Kale grows to maturity in 55 to 60 days versus a cow raised for beef for an average of 18-24 months. To raise one pound of beef requires 16 pounds of grain, 11 times as much fossil fuel and more than 2,400 gallons of water.
6. Detoxifying: The high fiber and sulfur content is great for keeping the liver healthy and cleansing all the nasties.
7. Immunity: Kale is an incredibly rich source of all sorts of lovely vitamins and minerals with super antioxidant powers that help to prevent various cancers, Alzehiemers disease and ageing whilst improving skin and vision.
To sum up, kale really is the big shot of the veggie world. So eat lots of it.
Try out our kale salad with creamy dressing recipe, it easy and unbelievably nutritious.