Four more sleeps until Earth Day. Time to get your planning hat on. We have kindly provided you with some inspiration on how to fill the day. We would love to hear your suggestions too!!
1. Make your pledge to the Earth and register it at Earth Day’s Billion Acts of Green
2. Take a super fast shower and a couple of degrees colder than usual (it wakes you up and is good for the circulation). Or go one step further and go shopping for a low-flow shower head.
5. Be part of the global screening of ‘One Day On Earth’. An awesome film that gives a snapshot of every country on Earth over 24hrs.
7. Turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees or off completely. Just cosy up in some pyjama pants, a sweatshirt and a nice blanket.
9. Plant a tree or buy some plants if you don’t have a garden.
10. Recycle everything, don’t throw anything out to landfill all day.
12. Turn off the TV and the lights, then fill the darkness with some of these suggestions.
a. Host an Earth Day Party: BYO candles and no plastic cups.
c. Harness the combined romance of candlelight and eco-chivalry to pop the question.
d. Dig out your clarinet, ocarina or guitar for an acoustic music night. Practise without looking at your hands.
e. Avoid using anything that requires power. Including batteries.
f. Go totally 18th-century and play charades by candlelight.
g. Tell ghost stories. Go down to the basement, horror movie style, in a negligee to investigate dark spooky corners.
i. Dust off those board games. Trivial Pursuit is a personal favourite, I love the play dough part.
j. Go to bed early. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
k. Make candlelight shadow puppets . Here is a very informative video on shadow puppetry.
l. Play with sparklers. Take long-exposure photos of your efforts.
m. Sit in a drumming circle around a candlelit shrine to David Suzuki.
o. Just whistle in the dark.
We hope you find these suggestions useful and if not please give us some better ones.